Sunday, August 31, 2008

We As Humans

I heard some really disturbing news from my mother last night. I'm a little behind the times because this happened a month ago, but it doesn't make it any less frightening. I have lost a lot of hope in mankind.

I'm going to go ahead and warn you. This is creepy, disturbing, and bone chilling to me. My mother and sister both told me about this, and I have now read articles about it. I read the story. It's about a 22-year-old guy in Canada who was stabbed on a Greyhound bus on his way home. He was asleep, listening to music, and on his way home to see his family. The next thing he knows, the guy, a complete stranger, next to him stabs him. A blood-curdling scream exits his mouth and the guy is on top of him continually stabbing him. Oh. My. Gosh. The rest of the story just gets worse, but if you want to read about it, one article is linked to the title of this blog, and the other I read is here. I can't stop thinking about this horrific event.

This scariest part to me is that when the boy was stabbed, everyone ran. No one tried to help. Immediate action had to have taken place for anything to work. Yes, I know this dude is obviously crazy, but last a checked, a bus full of people against one? I think the odds are still in their favor. If people had acted quickly, I think something could have been done. Instead, the bus driver pulls over and ushers everyone off the bus. They all stood outside the bus--listening, watching, waiting. Could you imagine the next year or so of your life? Remembering the screams and knowing you sat and watched it? I know it's easier for me to sit here in my comfortable house and type about how action should've taken place, but what I know is all I did this morning when I woke up before my alarm was think of how I ways I could have tried to help the guy. This story is just the cherry on top of the dessert of no action, reminding me about how no one wants to help. 

I guess it's not just this instance that has me scared. Its the neighbors screams that no one calls about until it's too late. Or the car alarm going off that you tune out. Or the person who just stole beer from the convenient store that you turn your head to and walk away. We don't want to step up. This world really has taught me to fight for myself because I sure can't count on the kindness of strangers.

I'm apologize for the somber attitude I brought to this blog, but I have no itinerary for what I am going to write. I hope we all learn that everyone needs our help, if only we're willing to give it! 

In celebration of Labor day...

German word:

die Arbeit - Labor

This Day's gone like it's night.

No comments: