Friday, November 7, 2008

The New Smith



Disclaimer: Lots of pictures = the illusion of a long post. sorry!

So this weekend's wedding--SUCCESS! amazing. phenomenal. superb. loverly. It was one of THE best weddings I've been to! Probably most of that had to do with the fact that I knew 80% of the people at the wedding/reception, and was related to another 7%. There were people there I hadn't seen in awhile, and then there were people who I hadn't seen in around oooh, 6 years, like Chuck Gatton! I was so excited to see my old swim coach! He looks exactly the same. It was so great to get to talk with him, if only for a little while. I cannot explain how great everything went. I am so happy for my big bro! And now the smith kids' tally has moved up to 5, and I finally have an "older sister"! yahoo!

To give a few details, the luncheon was great--some FINE chicken salad and meeting of some fellow bridesmaids. The rehearsal dinner was great, bringing a few tears to my eyes and preventing me from making a speech (I'm a chicken; no dry eyes, no talk). My brother knows what I would have said, though. That's what is important. Oh, and did I mention that the food there was great? My Aunt Judy made some homemade german (Ja Ja!) chocolate cake that I most willingly devoured. The wedding ceremony was a bit longer than I expected, and a lot different since it was at Rebecca's parents church and they are Episcopal. So it was not the 25 minute wedding that I'm used to, but it did have some good singing.

Then there was the reception. SO GREAT. After talking my voice box empty and listening my ear off, I learned I missed the bouquet toss (I still haven't figured out how or why no one came to get me??? not that I would try to catch that sucker..) along with the garter toss. BUT then the fun began. Corky pulled mom on the dance floor, and after finishing, let my dad take over. I think that's probably the first time I've seen my parents dance together & just so happened to capture the most amazing picture of them smiling so big! --> After 70% of the reception attendants left, the dancing was the best. The band played some sweet late 80s/early 90s music. In other words, the perfect genre. Caitlyn, Corky, Todd, and I started breaking it down once Thriller hit, but what got us truly in tune with the music was Bon Jovi-Livin' on a prayer. I wish I had it one video. I've never been out of breath from basically lip syncing a song, but boy did I break a sweat on that one! I love my family! And my guitar hero skills came out when Sweet Child of Mine came on.. I knew that guitar part by heart.

Anyways, Todd and Rebecca ran out through a line of cherished family and friends, sparkling the way to the car. It was a beautiful sight. They rode off in a Bentley and flew out for Antigua Sunday! I hope everyone who came had so much fun. I loved seeing faces long forgotten and can't wait to have more memories that equate with this weekend.


German word:
Neu--New

3 comments:

Spring said...

About time you got these pics up! Looks like the Smith family had a great time all around! :) And you're right... Chuck looks exactly the same!

Matt and Blair said...

wow I did't know your brother was getting married! It looks and sounds like ya'll had a blast!!! are you still in Jackson or back and forth?

Anonymous said...

You have a great blog. I haven't seen Chuck Gatton in almost 10 years. Is he still in Columbus?