Thursday, January 15, 2009

The Calling of Matthew

As I was doing my daily Bible reading last night, I came across a verse that really spoke to me. I've read it numerous times, especially because doctors are talked about by Jesus :) Anyways, I thought I'd share the verse, and the few that lead up to it.

Matthew 9:10-13 (NIV)
While Jesus was having dinner at Matthew's house, many tax collectors and "sinners" came and ate with him and his disciples. When the Pharisees saw this, they asked his disciples, "Why does your teacher eat with tax collectors and 'sinners'?"

On hearing this, Jesus said, "It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick. But go and learn what this means: 'I desire mercy, not sacrifice.' For I have not come to call the righteous, but the sinners."

I bolded the section that really stood out to me. Here, Jesus is quoting the Old Testament--Hosea 6:6 to be exact. I've read those verses I've just quoted time and time again, but for some reason, last night, I actually grasped the statement "I desire mercy, not sacrifice." I always struggle to remember this. I've always paid attention to "For I have not come to call the righteous, but the sinners," which of course, is a VERY important lesson to remember. I just never paid close attention to the words before that quote. Interpret His words as you will. It's really cool to read the whole story behind Hosea 6:6.

German word:
helfen--to help

2 comments:

prin said...

If you remember that, I think you'll be the best doctor. We definitely need more doctors with empathy in the world (and empathetic people in general...).

Good luck. :)

Day said...

That is so encouraging to here. Thanks prin!