Monday, May 31, 2010

What would you give up?

Tonight I've been thinking a lot about the question, "What would you give up in order for someone to know Christ?"

Ideally, we'd all answer, "Everything." That's easy enough to say out loud (or in your head), but when you get down to naming things in particular, it gets really hard. I did this once while I was in Germany, and it really makes your wheels turn. Here are a few things that I'd be willing to give up if it meant that someone would come to know my Savior. Some may seem silly--but they're all things that, in the end, are very close to me.

Some simple things like...
Being able to wear make-up
Watching movies
Eating Peanut Butter
The Internet
My cell phone
Hot showers
Contacts

Some more serious things like..
My worldly happiness (for I, like everyone else, seek happiness on this earth)
My vision
My ability to walk
Being able to see my family or friends
My language--or comprehension of any language
My reputation
My pride
...and ultimately, my life

Some of these things I did give up for awhile. It was hard--really hard. But, if it helped someone, it was worth it. It's an interesting thought, isn't it? Hope I've given you something to think about...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I remember when we did this. You and I had similar things-- your vision and my hearing. I think that lesson was a hard one for all of us.