Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Nice cut

Well, as of Monday evening, I made it through my first gross anatomy tests. If you need to ask me about your arm, or back, just holler. I may (or may not) be able to answer it. It was actually quite entertaining to take the practical. Let me just set up the scene for you. Imagine about 40 metal boxes, elevated to about elbow level, long enough for a man of average height. All of them are open, with a dead body raised up either face up or down (faces covered). We walk in and go to an assigned table/box and begin. We must recognize what nerve/artery/vein/muscle/bone/ligament is tagged. After 1 minute and 10 seconds, an alarm goes off, and we move on. In a nutshell, it something like "musical cadavers" as my roommate puts it. We get our grades back tomorrow, so I may not be in such a great mood!

Another fun thing that happened today--I, for the first time ever (thank goodness), used a bone saw. On my cadaver, of course. It was quite empowering! There I was, holding an electric saw, vibrating in my hand, as a slowly cut through bone. My lab partner and I cut the front half of the rib cage off so that we could see our cadaver's lungs.... and wow. It..was...aawweeesooomme. We haven't seen the heart yet, but we're all meeting in lab on Friday to take it out. I have told about 140 different people today (yes, I'm exaggerating) because I felt like it was "something to write home about." I may have a heck of a time getting used to this whole non-social life/studying-my-brain-to-mush lifestyle, but at least some pretty cool perks come along with it!

Hope everyone is doing well. I hate that I don't talk to many people often, but I promise that come December I will be back to normal. Thanks for reading!

2 comments:

jennifer said...

Gross. :-) Miss you!

OleMissBabyDoc, M.D. said...

Bahahaha. "Musical Cadavers". Only your roommate. Ha!!