Sunday, March 22, 2009

Smith Tidings

This week was a blessing for me. My mom and sister flew all the way over to Dresden to come visit me. Well, my mom came solely to visit me, while Cailtyn came to see me… as well as Dresden and Prague. :) Let’s be honest, that’s part of the reason why most people come visit friends in Western Europe, and I’m okay with that. I was able to show them both around the major highlights of Dresden with plenty of photo opportunities. They were able to meet my teammates as well as see where we live and where most of our ministry takes place.

It was great to have their encouragement and their love poured into me. Being away from your family and friends is never easy, so their visit helped fill my cup with strength and love. There's something about talking to people face-to-face instead of computer-to-computer or phone-to-phone, ya know? We humans are relational people, and physical presence is a must for those relationships to stay at full potential. If you don’t agree, that’s just fine, but this has proven true in every relationship in my life and was reconfirmed last week. Thank you mom and Caitlyn for being such a blessing in my life and showing how much you love me by flying across the world to see me!

In other news, my teammates and I will be traveling with our supervisor to Berlin this weekend! We have plans to see such sights as Checkpoint Charlie and remnants of the Wall (as well as many others). I’m so fortunate to see such amazing pieces of history. Plenty of pictures and stories to come, I’m sure!

German Word(s):
Mutter--Mother
Schwester--Sister

3 comments:

matt said...

Day, I've been a horrible friend so, I revisited the past and read all your posts that I missed. I'm so proud of you and the work you're doing over there. Keep sharing the good word...Can't wait to see all the post cards you'll be sending me! Please write all future postcards in all German. Make me do some real work and translate it.

prin said...

I'm glad you had a great visit. :)

As for physical presences, when you lose the physical presence, it never feels the same without it, but when you start far away, sometimes the relationships that form are even better because of the amount of communication involved. Because of the barriers that result from missing body language, the communication becomes far more explicit and clear, and when both parties are equally honest and open, it can be a beautiful thing, albeit it's very rare that both parties are equally honest.

I hope you're propelled into this week with your heart replenished and full. :)

jennifer said...

Makes me hurt for home a little. I can't wait to see and touch the people I know!