Saturday, December 27, 2008

Retail Detail

So, as I have not much interesting going on in my life at the moment, I thought I'd write about a few pointers, or suggestions, to remember when you're going shopping in a retail store. I've always tried to be somewhat conscious of the workers at stores, but being on the other side has shown me a thing or two. These are merely suggestions that would make a retail worker's day!

1. When trying on clothes, it would be so nice of you to hang up everything that you tried on (that is, if it came on a hanger) before leaving the fitting room--unless you plan on buying the item.

2. If you're looking at a stack of clothes that has recently been folded, it'd be real nice if you tried not to mess up the whole stack when you're looking for your size. I know that's not always possible; I'm just asking to make sure it doesn't look like a hurricane hit that pretty stack of clothes.

3. If you go into a store and have no intentions on buying anything, please don't try on 50 different items. It's such a tease!

4. If you see a worker helping out a customer, please don't interrupt him/her unless it's a last resort--especiallly when they seem overloaded, and it's a useless question such as asking about where another store is located.

5. If you see shirts folded in a unique way and you think you can refold it that way, be my guest. If not, don't fold it some obviously incorrect way and walk away, smirking. It's just going to look silly and have to be completely refolded anyway. You'll probably get the evil eye. I mean, did it actually look like the rest of the stack?

6. If you're trying to be one of those amazingly kind people who puts up their stuff after trying it on, it'd be even better if you put your size in the correct spot. If not, you can leave it to the fitting room attendant to put up, or leave it hanging in the area where the "clothes that didn't work" are located.

7. If someone is in the middle of a transaction at the register, please don't ask them to go do something. They can't just leave the register in the middle of things.

8. When you're asked who was helping you, do you best to name ANYONE who did. If you're asked this, commission is might be involved. If not commission, then the store is trying to keep up with how each associate is doing in sales. Either way, it's important. It's quite a pet peeve when someone helps a customer and then the customer says, "Oh, I helped myself." Yeah, I'm sure you magically opened up the jewelry case and got that necklace, woman.

9. Don't leave empty coffee cups or trash on a shelf in the store. You know good and well that the store is not a trash can.

10. If you knock something over, pretty please pick it up. Don't let it collect dust and footprints on the floor.

11. Don't be afraid to ask an associate for help. It's actually pretty fun when you can answer people's questions! And when you don't like something that was picked out, it's ok to say no. It helps him/her figure out what you're looking for!

12. Lastly, when you're really nice to the workers, it makes them want to help you even more. People who are rude might seem to get their way, but it puts everyone in a bad mood. Being cheerful makes things move along quicker, and everyone is better for it!

That's all I got for now. If I think of more, I'll add 'em.

German phrase:
Wie alt bist du?--How old are you?

1 comment:

prin said...

Aside from #5 and #11, I think I'm pretty good. I can't fold to save my life, but I'd rather attempt than leave it all scraggly and opened... And I can't tell a salesperson when I hate their selections either. It feels like I'm saying, "Your taste is horrible. Go check your eyes." Instead, I just run away when they ask if I need help. hehe.